Earlier post | Main | Later post

UGO work in progress

July 24, 2007 (15:12 CET)

Its been a while since I last reported in. Early July, I spent a full weekend working out a way to make the app give its position back to the user in realtime. That's more or less resolved now. Returning to my original python scripts, I came to understand that what I was making is basically a work-around for the GE-native networklink. The networklink feature was my first hunch back in May but pretty soon I found there are still some bugs with the update speed using such a networklink. That's one of the reasons I digressed to c# and a stand-alone GUI. During the weekend, I brought the python scripts back to life with C# simply sending over the GE data given through the API. With the python scripts back in place as cgi scripts on the server, I finally had the pleasure of simultaneously chasing a friend around Google's Earth late that Sunday evening.

From there, I have been playing with the app, looking at intuitive ways to use it. Later in the week, my old former collegue Jurryt Pietersma from NLR joined me in further developing the UGO idea. This is currently still ongoing. We'll be back with more...I've also yesterday got access to a new domain www.usergeneratedorbit.com. Its probably not gonna be the eventual name, but for now its a good ref.




Post a comment

Powered by
Movable Type 3.35